New Hampshire State Veteran Benefits


We endeavor to keep this information current, but it is subject to change without notice.


Surviving Children of Military Service Members

New Hampshire provides dependent children of military members with free tuition at state colleges and potentially a $2,500 scholarship for room/board, books and supplies. The children must be between the ages of 16 and 25 and have a military parent who died in wartime service or who die from a service-connected disability. 


The Granite State has labor laws that provide hiring preference to honorably discharged veterans when applying for jobs with the city, town, and district. They also give preference to these veterans when they make appointments to certain State commissions.  Some spouses and surviving spouses who choose not to remarry may also be eligible to receive preference.


Global War on Terrorism Bonus

While this program ended on June 11, 2009, applications can still be accepted if meeting certain provisions. The program allows for paying a $100 cash bonus to NH military residents who were on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, and earned the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal or Afghanistan Campaign. Other requirements include being a state resident when entering active duty and being honorably discharged.

Property Tax Exemption  

New Hampshire offers different levels of property tax exemptions for wartime veterans and their spouses. At minimum each receives a tax credit of $50 and both can receive the tax credit for a total of $100 if both are eligible. From there, individual municipalities can adopt to offer a tax credit up to $500.

Furthermore, the surviving spouse of a service person killed in action could receive a tax credit on real estate or personal property in an amount between $700 and $2,000.

A service-connected, 100% disabled veteran, double amputee or paraplegic or a surviving spouse who remains unmarried can get a $700 tax credit on their home. Again, municipalities may vote to increase this tax credit up to $2,000.

The state grants a full exemption from all property tax on a specially-adapted home belonging to a service-connected, 100% disabled veteran who is blind, paraplegic or a double amputee as a result of service. The home must be specially adapted and purchased with the help of the VA, or with money from sale proceeds of a previous homestead purchased with VA help. Under such conditions, the eligible veteran’s surviving spouse would also be also exempt.

Veteran Relief

Under section 165: 5, resident ‘war’ veterans and their families who are indigent and unable to support themselves shall be cared for at public expenses. The obligation to provide for the veterans, assuming they are not under guardianship or legal restraint of others, falls to the city in which the Veteran lives.


Fish and Game Licenses

  • NH resident veterans who are honorably discharged and considered by the VA to be permanently and totally disabled may receive a lifetime license for hunting and fishing at no charge
  • Under certain circumstances, Manchester VA Medical Center patients, and residents from the Veterans’ Home may be able to obtain free fishing permits
  • Under certain circumstances and with proper permits, disabled veterans are allowed to hunt from motor vehicles or boats

State Park Admission

New Hampshire grants free day-use in its state parks to any veteran with a service-connected disability, regardless of rating. They also give free admission privileges to current or retired state National Guard members in pay grades E1 to E6.


New Hampshire operates one 250-bed nursing home in Tilton for honorably discharged resident veterans. To qualify as a resident, the applicant must have lived in New Hampshire for at least a year before applying. Any qualifying veteran will have at least 90 days of active service during wartime. Naturally, they have some restrictions on who they can accept based on their ability to provide adequate care.  Fees are based on whether assets and income exceed a $30,000 threshold or not.


New Hampshire has no resident requirements to be buried in their Boscawen veterans’ cemetery. There is a no fees for the veteran; their spouses and eligible dependents can be buried for a fee. Indigent veterans will be buried by the municipality of their death free of charge.   



You can find more information regarding these benefits and other programs at the New Hampshire State Office of Veterans Services website.