Michigan State Veteran Benefits


We endeavor to keep this information current, but it is subject to change without notice.


The Michigan Children of Veterans Tuition Grant assists both natural or adopted children, age 16 to 26, of permanently and totally disabled veterans with undergraduate tuition. The grant also applies to children of veterans who died as a result of military service.  Stipulations apply.

In addition to this grant, Michigan has several programs and organizations to help veterans and their families obtain an education, including:

  • Folds of Honor
  • Freedom Alliance
  • No Greater Sacrifice
  • Scholarship for Service
  • Thanks USA
  • Heroes’ Legacy
  • Scholarships for Military Children Program


Veterans Preference

Veterans seeking state employment receive a hiring preference for their initial position. Preference extends to certain veteran spouses as well.

Occupational Licensing

Michigan has updated their statutes to allow the state to honor military training and experience when evaluating qualifications for certain occupational licenses. And, if you are a military veteran with an honorable discharge, some license application fees can be set aside.

Apprenticeship Programs

Michigan utilizes several U.S. Department of Labor employment and training programs to assist veterans, most notably: Helmets to Hardhats for guardsmen and reservists and Troops to Teachers. Some eligibility rules exist.


Income Tax

The Great Lakes State does not tax active duty or military retirement pay.

Property Tax Waiver

Property tax waivers on personal residences are available for certain Michigan veterans who are residents and hold an ‘other than dishonorable’ discharge. Veterans must be 100% service-connected disabled veterans or rated so because of individual unemployability. Surviving spouses who elect not to remarry may also receive the tax waiver.

Vehicle Registration

For a one-time $5 administration fee, 100% permanently and totally disabled-rated veterans can register one vehicle and receive a disabled veteran plate for free.

Emergency Assistance

Military families often endure temporary periods of extra financial hardship. Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency supplies emergency assistance to qualifying military families struggling with medical bills, utility bills, vehicle and home repairs or basic needs. In addition to this resource, other organizations such as The Michigan Veteran Trust Fund, Soldier & Sailor Relief Funds and the National Guard Family Program may be able to help as well.


Hunting and Fishing

Michigan’s active duty military residents do not need to pay for hunting and fishing licenses. Military members who are stationed in the state yet are not residents pay the resident rate for their hunting and fishing licenses.

However, disabled veterans who are rated ‘permanently and totally disabled’ can obtain for free any hunting or fishing license available to residents outside of the lottery system.

State Parks

Michigan opens their state park system to 100% ‘permanently and totally’ disabled veterans without charging for entrance.


Michigan administers care through two Veterans Homes: The Grand Rapids Home for Veterans Admissions and the D.J. Jacobetti Home for Veterans Admissions in Marquette. Plus, they are building two more. Each home has the final say on eligibility, but in general, qualifications for admittance are:

  • Veterans must be receiving VA health care or financial assistance for long-term care
  • Veteran must have ‘other than dishonorable’ discharge
  • Veterans who enlisted after September 7, 1980, or who entered active duty after October 16, 1981, must have their full period of service of at least 24 consecutive months

Other things to note:  Michigan does not require residency. Depending on space and needs, qualifying spouses or surviving spouses can apply. Michigan bases their fees on verified income.


Two national Veterans Cemeteries in Michigan still accept applications for burial: Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly and Fort Custer National Cemetery in Augusta. Eligibility rules follow federal policies.

Under state law, some veterans and their spouses or surviving spouses may qualify for $300 from the Board of County Auditors or the County Board of Commissioners. The money is for the burial expenses of those who meet residency and asset limit requirements. The Soldiers Relief Fund in each county oversees the application process.


You can find more information regarding these benefits and other programs at the Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs website.