Connecticut State Veteran Benefits


We endeavor to keep this information current, but it is subject to change without notice.


Veterans may apply to have tuition and fees waived at all State colleges and universities if they are residents of Connecticut and served for at least 90 days on active duty during wartime. Their dependents also qualify if the qualifying Veteran became (or becomes) missing in action after January 1, 1960.


Connecticut grants employment preferences to Veterans taking state and municipal exams by way of extra points. A wartime veteran eligible for or already receiving VA compensation gets ten points. Wartime veterans not eligible for VA pension or disability compensation receives five points. A qualified veteran’s spouse may also receive additional points to give them preference in hiring.

Test Exemption for current CDL skills

Veterans who operated military vehicles that would require a Commercial Drivers License outside the military may by-pass the skills portion of the CDL test, provided they apply within one year of separation and can document their military driving experience.


Property Tax

Veterans, including those who served in the Merchant Marines, who have 90 days service in ‘wartime’ or who service during WWII, receive a $1,500 exemption for property tax purposes. This exemption can apply to either real estate or personal property tax for motor vehicles; it’s your choice. Certain Veterans who may not own real or personal property may even be eligible for a tax refund if they are leasing a car.  

Service-connected disabled veterans and Veterans with incomes at or below a certain level may be eligible for additional tax exemptions according to scale. For example, paraplegics in Connecticut may be eligible for up to $10,000 in tax exemptions. This benefit may extend to surviving spouses of veterans as well. This program is administered at the municipality level and the tax assessor’s office has specific details.

Income Tax

Connecticut does not tax active duty military pay if the service member is stationed out-of-state. In addition, he or she cannot own a home in the state or be in the state for more than 30 days in any given year.

Connecticut does not tax military retirement pay.


Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Active duty personnel, regardless of assignment station may obtain Connecticut trapping, hunting, and fishing licenses at the resident rate.

State Parks

Connecticut residents with a service-connected disability can receive a lifetime pass to all state forests and parks at no charge.


All Veteran residents of Connecticut are eligible for admittance to the State’s Veterans Home in Rocky Hill provided they received an ‘other than dishonorable’ discharge. Rocky Hill boats both a residential and a skilled-care facility, both of which operate on a fee based on the Veteran’s income.


The Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs and its Commissioner operates the Veterans cemetery in Middletown. To be eligible for internment, the Veteran must:

  • Have been discharged with an Honorable discharge or General under Honorable Conditions
  • Have Active Duty service other than for training purposes
  • Have at least 20 years qualifying service as a National Guard or Reserve member
  • Can provide proof of Connecticut residency at time of death or proof of residency at time of qualifying military service


You can find more information regarding these benefits and other programs at the Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs website.