ARKANSAS STATE VETERAN BENEFITS
We endeavor to keep this information current, but it is subject to change without notice.
ARKANSAS EDUCATION BENEFITS
Military Dependents Scholarship
The Military Dependents Scholarship Program provides waiver of tuition and fees at state- supported colleges, universities, and technical or vocational schools to the spouse and children of any Arkansas military member killed in action since January 1, 1960. The scholarship program extends to the dependents of any Arkansas POW or MIA since that date as well.
ARKANSAS VETERAN EMPLOYMENT PREFERENCE
Arkansas gives Veterans with an honorable discharge or reserve/guard members with at least six years of service preference on state hiring exams. These service members receive 5 additional points on their score. Disabled veterans and their spouses receive 10 additional points on their score.
ARKANSAS VETERAN FINANCIAL BENEFITS
Personal Property Tax Exemption
Veterans meeting one of multiple criteria may receive a tax exemption on their personal property and homestead. Any Veteran who receives monthly VA for the loss (or loss of use) of a limb, total blindness in an eye, or for 100% permanent and total disability may qualify as well as their dependent minor children and surviving spouses, provided they do not remarry. Other surviving spouses (who have not remarried) receive this benefit if their military spouse died in the line of duty, is MIA, or died from service-connected causes.
Arkansas does not tax active duty pay or retirement pay.
ARKANSAS VETERAN RECREATION BENEFITS
Hunting & Fishing Licenses
- Military retirees receive a lifetime discount on hunting, fishing or combo licenses
- Arkansas Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled receive a lifetime discount on hunting, fishing, or combo licenses
- Active duty members stationed in Arkansas pay resident rates for hunting, fishing or combo licenses
Arkansas State Parks
100% permanently disabled Arkansas resident veterans can camp for half price at most State Parks.
ARKANSAS VETERANS HOME
Both Veterans Homes located in Fayetteville and North Little Rock, run by the Arkansas Department of Veterans Affairs, offer 24-hour nursing care. They each have a physician on staff. To be considered for admission, Veterans must:
- Have an Honorable discharge
- Have no criminal record
- Have a verified medical need for placement
Arkansas residents are given priority. In addition, spouses of eligible Veterans or Gold Star parents may also apply.
ARKANSAS STATE VETERANS' CEMETERIES
Arkansas State Veterans Cemeteries in North Little Rock in Birdeye have these guidelines:
- Eligibility extends to Veterans who are discharged under all conditions except Dishonorable, and to their spouses and dependent children
- No cost for Veterans
- Eligible spouses and dependent children pay $300 for internment