To get your DD214 you need to submit a military records request through the milconnect website. To use milConnect you will have to sign in and you will need a Premium DS Logon. Your MyHealtheVet or ID.me credentials won’t work with the milConnect website. However, you can go to the milConnect website to register or upgrade your DS Logon account to premium.
Steps to Submit Military Records Request
- From your signed-in homepage, click or tap on Correspondence/ Documentation. Then select Defense Personnel Records Information (DPRIS) from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the Personnel File tab.
- Select Request My Personnel File.
- Fill out the form. In the Document Index section, check the boxes next to the document(s) you’d like to request.
- Click or tap on the Create and Send Request button.
Documents You Can Get With milConnect
You can use milConnect to request the following documents:
- Report of Separation
- Other release papers
- Orders and Endorsements
- Performance Reports
- Awards and Decorations
- Qualifications, Licenses, and Certificates
- Security Clearance
What Happens When You Request Military Records
After you’ve made your submission, you’ll receive an email letting you know they are processing your request. When your request is complete you will receive a second email. You can then view and download your files.
You can check the status of your request in milConnect as well. You first need to go to milConnect and log-in. Then go to the Personnel File tab located in the Defense Personnel Records Information (DPRIS) section. You’ll also find your files in this location when they are ready to viewed and downloaded.
How to Get Military Records without milConnect
There are other ways of obtaining military records without using milConnect.
- Mail or fax a Request Pertaining to Military Records (Standard Form SF 180) to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC).
- Write a letter to the NPRC. Send it to 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, Missouri 63138
- Visit the NPRC in person
- Contact your state or county Veterans agency
- Hire an independent researcher